1 compose a sequence of dance steps, often to music; "Balanchine choreographed many pieces to Stravinsky's music"
2 plan and oversee the development and details of; "The meeting between the two Presidents had been carefully choreographed"
Choreography (literally "dance-writing" from the Greek words "χορεία" (circular dance, see chorea) and "γραφή" (writing), also known as "dance composition"), is the art of making structures in which movement occurs. The term composition may also refer to the navigation or connection of these movement structures. The resulting movement structure may also be referred to as the choreography. People who create choreographies are called choreographers.
The term choreography first appeared in the American English dictionary in the 1950s. Prior to this, movie credits normally stated "Ensembles Staged by", "Dances", "Dance Director", "Dances Staged by", "Musical Numbers Directed by", or "Musical Numbers Staged and Directed by". Choreographers often improvise to find what works best musically.
SettingsAlthough used mainly for dance, choreography is also used in:
And many other activities involving human movement.
Language and notation
One choreographic technique is improvisation.
- Blom, L, A. and Tarin Chaplin, L. (1989) The Intimate Act of Choreography. Dance Books. ISBN 0-8229-5342-0
- Ellfeldt, L. (1998) A Primer for Choreographers . Waveland Press. ISBN 0-88133-350-6
- Minton, S, C. (1997) Choreography: A Basic Approach Using Improvisation. Human Kinetics . ISBN 0-88011-529-7
- Tufnell, M. and Vaughan, D. (1999) Body Space Image : Notes Toward Improvisation and Performance. Princeton Book Co. ISBN 1-85273-041-2
- Smith-Autard, J, M. (2000) Dance Composition. Routledge. ISBN 0-87830-118-6
- Choreography a dance web site about choreography and the performing arts
- BBC Blast Find out how to become a choreographer with BBC Blast.
- Choreograph.net is an online forum about the emerging aesthetics of choreography
- Bryan Mattox Website International dancer and choreographer, Christopher Bryan Mattox, website (London,St.Petersburg,Los Angeles)
- choreography Website
- About-creativity.com An interview with choreographer Natalie Marrone, 4/6/07
- Latin American Dance blog
- McDonald Selznick AssociatesThe Worst Choreography Agency
choreograph in Bulgarian: Хореография
choreograph in Danish: Koreografi
choreograph in German: Choreografie
choreograph in Spanish: Coreografía]
choreograph in Persian: رقصپردازی
choreograph in French: Chorégraphie
choreograph in Italian: Coreografia
choreograph in Hebrew: כוריאוגרפיה
choreograph in Georgian: ქორეოგრაფია
choreograph in Luxembourgish: Choreographie
choreograph in Dutch: Choreografie
choreograph in Japanese: 振付師
choreograph in Norwegian: Koreografi
choreograph in Polish: Choreografia
choreograph in Portuguese: Coreografia
choreograph in Romanian: Coregrafie
choreograph in Russian: Хореография
choreograph in Simple English: Choreography
choreograph in Slovak: Choreografia (kompozícia pohybu)
choreograph in Finnish: Koreografia
choreograph in Swedish: Koreografi
choreograph in Turkish: Koreografi
choreograph in Yiddish: כארעגראפיע